The Boston & Maine Railroad built Union Station in April of 1931. Prior to its construction, Lawrence was mostly served by North and South Lawrence stations. North Lawrence being located downtown, but on the Manchester & Lawrence Branch, and South Lawrence being a distance from downtown, but on the B&M's main line, made it necessary for convenience to have shuttle train run between the two stations to allow businessmen and residents access to the main line station. Both North and South Lawrence stations were eliminated with the construction of the new Union Station.
Hoisington, Richard A. "This Train Does Not Stop at Nutt's Pond." The New England States Limited, Spring 1978.