Located within the junction of the Boston & Maine Railroad's main line and the Lowell Branch, South Lawrence station was the city's only train station with main line access. Since North Lawrence station served the core of the city, the Boston & Maine ran a shuttle train between the two until April 1931 when the new Lawrence station was built on the main line near downtown.
Hoisington, Richard A. "This Train Does Not Stop at Nutt's Pond." The New England States Limited, Spring 1978.