The Nashua & Rochester Railroad opened in 1874 between the namesake cities. The station, located at Depot Road, was closed on May 22, 1925 and the rail line eventually was abandoned in 1935.
The station was restored by the town and was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1986. Home to the Sandown Historical Society, a collection of railroad artifacts and two flanger cars are on display around the station.
Crouch, H. Bentley. "The "Phantom" Division" B&M Bulletin, Summer 1979.